Skip to main content


In 1864, the Millville Library and Reading Room Association was established. The location was a small building in Glasstown at Buck Street & Columbia Avenue. Members, 17 and older, joined by buying stock (children were prohibited from library use until 1872). In 1868, yearly dues were raised to $3.00. In 1883, the original building was sold, and the Library moved to the Workingmen's Institute Building at the foot of High Street. By then the book collection consisted of 2,000 volumes, and there were newspapers and magazines. A large reading room was established for use by the public free of charge. Due to a rent increase in 1887, the board voted to rent a space over the Simmons Brothers' Store (Fath Dept. Store) on High Street. The Library moved again in 1893 to the Women's Christian Temperance Union Building on Mulberry Street between High & Buck where it remained until 1908. 

The Library was incorporated in 1908, and purchased the Millville National Bank building at 2nd & Main Streets for $2,000. Membership was $1.00 per year. Non-members could use books in the library. Books could be borrowed if you registered and presented satisfactory references, or deposited the value of the book and paid $.05 in advance per week. The decision was made in 1914 to open as a free library. Card holders increased from 90 to 1,600, and to 3,250 by 1918. Circulation quadrupled in one year. Many services were extended to the community including sending books to those serving in the armed forces in 1918 and again in 1940. Old books and magazines were donated to the state prison farm at Leesburg, and children's books were lent to the schools. In 1939, children at the age of nine were allowed to borrow books. Story hour began in 1947. Art work was often displayed on the walls by local artists. The Library was open afternoons and evenings except for Sundays. In 1950, the library contained an estimated 7,000 volumes, and subscribed to approximately 50 periodicals and local newspapers. As early as 1953 talks were begun regarding the need for a new library.

In March 1961, a plot of ground on Buck Street was leased for a proposed new library. Ground was broken on May 14, 1962 and the new library opened on March 27, 1963. In one year visitation doubled to 28,000, and circulation went up by 13,000 books. A decade of progress and advancement in facilities, programs and services has begun. Staff increased to 17, circulation rose to 75,000, new collections were started and others expanded. The Gant Room was used for almost 200 well attended programs. There was a community outreach book delivery service to the homebound and senior centers. A volunteer group, Friends of the Library, was formed. Members worked at the desk, planned story hours, sponsored cultural programs, organized book bazaars, conducted a Great Books Discussion Group and purchased many new items. In March 1975, a 3400 sq.ft. addition was completed to house a Children's Department and office space. In 2005, there were 62,000 items in the collection, and there were 140,000 visitors. New computer technology is increasing. With the Library utilizing every available inch of space, including the basement, we begin again to dream of future expansion.